Outcome of Bills AHA Supported
- SB113/HB703 – Tobacco Control Funding: Hearings held but no vote and no additional funds places in supplemental budget
- HB1509 – Maryland Healthy Vending Choices Act: Hearing, unfavorable report
- SB669 – Tobacco Products-Minimum Age and Civil Fines (Tobacco21) Would raise legal age for purchase of tobacco products to 21: Hearing, unfavorable report
- SB427/HB522 – AEDs in Restaurants – Was amended to a study to determine most effective locations for AEDs, cost for owning and for training and liability issues: Passed as amended
- SB925/HB997 – Vehicle Laws-Bicycles, Play Vehicles and Unicycles – Specifies rights of those on any of these machines on sidewalk or crosswalk subject to specified traffic control signals: Passed as amended
- HB1492 – Housing and Community Development-Food Deserts-Small Loans – Makes provisions for loans up to $50,000 under specified circumstances to improve access to healthy foods: Passed as amended
- SB775/HB1445 and SB326/HB396 – Frederick County/Harford County to provide for special licenses to allow cigar shops to serve beer, wine and liquor: We opposed these bills and they all failed
SB278/HB586 – Maryland Farm and Families Act-Provides capability of food-insecure Maryland residents to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables at farmers’ markets using SNAP benefits; also benefits farmers: Passed with amendment noting that, each year, funding is subject to the limitations of the state budget.
Our mission is to be a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives. For nearly 100 years, we’ve been fighting heart disease and stroke, striving to save and improve lives. Heart disease is the No. 1 killer worldwide, and stroke ranks second globally. Even when those conditions don’t result in death, they cause disability and diminish quality of life. We want to see a world free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.