The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association is recognizing several Charleston healthcare systems that have used our programs to improve quality of care for heart disease and stroke patients. These 2019 Get With the Guidelines awards recognize their commitment to ensuring appropriate treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines based on scientific evidence.
Achievement Awards recognize hospitals that perform with a minimum of 85 percent compliance in each of the Get With The Guidelines Achievement Targeted Award Measures. The different achievement levels for Get With The Guidelines reflect the amount of time a hospital has demonstrated performance:
Bronze level – Hospitals earn Bronze recognition for maintaining this performance
level for a minimum of one calendar quarter.
Silver level – Hospitals earn Silver recognition for maintaining this performance level
for at least one calendar year.
Gold level – Hospitals earn Gold recognition for maintaining this performance level for
at least two consecutive calendar years.
Bronze Plus/Silver Plus/Gold Plus level – Silver Plus or Gold Plus recognition is awarded to Silver or Gold level award-winning hospitals that additionally demonstrate 75 percent compliance to a self-selected group of quality measures
The AHA is also recognizing local EMS services for participating in Mission: Lifeline, which a coordinated, proactive system of care that turns first responders, hospitals and other healthcare providers into a team that uses proven guidelines and best practices to treat cardiac and stroke patients.
These Charleston healthcare systems and EMS were recognized for the following 2019 awards:
- Berkeley County EMS: Mission: Lifeline EMS GOLD PLUS
- Charleston County EMS: Mission: Lifeline EMS GOLD PLUS
- Dorchester County EMS: Mission: Lifeline EMS GOLD PLUS
- East Cooper Medical Center: Get With the Guidelines Stroke GOLD PLUS; Get With the Guidelines Heart Failure SILVER Plus with Honor Roll
- Mount Pleasant Hospital: Get With the Guidelines Stroke SILVER PLUS with Honor Roll
- MUSC Health: Get With the Guidelines Stroke GOLD PLUS with Honor Roll Elite Plus
- Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center: Get With the Guidelines Stroke SILVER PLUS with Honor Roll Elite Plus; Get With the Guidelines Resuscitation SILVER PLUS
- Roper St. Francis Healthcare: Get With the Guidelines Stroke GOLD PLUS with Honor Roll Elite Plus
- Summerville Medical Center: Get With the Guidelines Stroke GOLD PLUS with Honor Roll
- Trident Medical Center: Get With the Guidelines Stroke GOLD PLUS with Honor Roll Elite Plus
To learn more about quality care, visit https://www.heart.org/en/professional/quality-improvement
Our mission is to be a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives. For nearly 100 years, we’ve been fighting heart disease and stroke, striving to save and improve lives. Heart disease is the No. 1 killer worldwide, and stroke ranks second globally. Even when those conditions don’t result in death, they cause disability and diminish quality of life. We want to see a world free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.